Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Peanut Butter and Banana Baked Oatmeal

Wow! I cannot believe the incredible opportunity I have received. I have never been simultaneously so tired/nervous and so happy/excited. It really feels that I was meant to be here and experience this, no matter how terrifying it all is.

In case you missed the memo, I moved to New Jersey this weekend, and I'm working for one of the many blossoming charter schools in the state. So far, I have only experienced staff training, but I can already tell it's going to change everything about my life.


One of those things is the fact that I have to wake up around 5:45 every morning. There's not enough sunlight at that time, so I can't even photograph my oatmeal. Heck, I barely have time to make my oatmeal.
Thus, I decided to try something I've never tried before: baked oatmeal with 4-6 servings, stored in the fridge and reheated in the mornings. I must say, it will never compare to fresh stove top oatmeal, but it does provide a little comfort in the mornings.


I found a (vegan) recipe that worked quite well for me. You can click here for that recipe, OR you can read below for a single-serving version! :)

If you want to know my game plan right now, I intend on committing myself to trying recipes and taking pictures on weekends, when I don't have to be up before sunrise! I suppose I may also post recipes without pictures sometimes. Anything's possible...


Peanut Butter & Banana Baked Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter (2 for extra indulgence!)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray a single-serving ramekin with non-stick spray.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, mash banana (I mashed 2/3 of mine and sliced the rest). Then, add milk (or water), peanut butter, and vanilla extract.
  3. In another small bowl, mix together dry ingredients: oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Once combined, add to the bowl of wet ingredients. Stir.
  4. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now. I recommend walnuts or chocolate chips. See below for variation ideas!
  5. Pour into the prepared ramekin and bake for 18-22 minutes.
Powered by Recipage
Variations
Switch up the nut butter! Use a flavored peanut butter (like PB&Co's Cinnamon and Raisin Swirl, or Dark Chocolate Dreams), or use almond butter or cashew butter.


Chocolate Chips - Add a handful (or two) of chocolate chips before transferring to the ramekin. I recommend semi-sweet chocolate chips, preferably in the mini size!

PB&J - Add jam!

Swirl it - Instead of mixing the peanut butter in in step 2, save the peanut butter until the end. Just before transferring the mixture to the ramekin, swirl the peanut butter into the oatmeal. Careful not to overmix it or it defeats the purpose. If your peanut butter is thick and difficult to spread, warm it up in the microwave first so it swirls better.

(P.S. This oatmeal is a great candidate for a FLOOD!)

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

20 comments:

  1. this looks soo good! can't wait to try it. thanks!
    would you consider making a Facebook page so I could "like" it for updates? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. this is the commenter above ^. Just made these in a mini-cupcake pan with walnuts and chocolate chips--DELICIOUS. Thank you!! :D finally something healthy to satisfy my sweets-cravings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this for breakfast and it was AMAZING! I used almond butter instead of peanut butter, but either way I think it would be good. It tasted like I was eating a freshly baked nutty banana bread. Please keep posting, you are very talented with oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great? Thanks so much. I'm so flattered! :)

      Delete
  4. You're my new hero, you're whole blog is so great! :D I can't really stand bananas, so I'll have to play around with some of your recipes, but you've seriously made me very happy now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lauren :) I'v tried this recipe today! It is AMAZING! I baked on a cupcake/muffin baking sheet and did 6 mini muffins. Here are a picture of them: http://madeatmyhome.tumblr.com/post/34484998212/peanut-butter-and-banana-oatmeal Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your photo and kind words! Last night I made oatmeal and I put them in a muffin tin; you inspired me! :)

      Delete
  6. What yummy oatmeal! As a passionate lover of peanut butter and bananas, this recipe gets two thumbs up! (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren I've made a few of your oatmeal recipes. I really liked the baked one´s the most. It's funny because of you asked me a few months ago if I liked oatmeal it's say no. But now I love it. I eat it every day thanks to your recipes. I wanted to eat healthy and you helped me thank you. So far the baked peanut butter cookie is my favorite. I add chocolate chips to it. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this in my toaster oven! I feel so healthy and energy-efficient! I've never tried baking any of your recipes before, and this one came out lovely and delicious. I added chocolate chips too, of course. :) Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this delicious and filling recipe! Also made this in my toaster oven and added in some walnuts. Tasted like banana bread with a different consistency but still spectacular. Speaking of which, I am craving it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lauren- Wondering how long you would recommend increasing the cooking time if I were going to make a batch for the entire work week (five days)? Also, how many bananas do you think I'd need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the recipe I used the first time I made it (also for a full work week) - http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/recipes/baked-peanut-butter-banana-oatmeal/ (did not use flavored pb, though).

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our toasterovenpro.wordpress.com serves Toaster ovens that use less energy than full-sized ovens.With smaller places to temperature,they achieve picked preparing conditions rapidly, which preserves energy.Toaster ovens may save your self around one-third to one-half of the power an old-fashioned stove uses.This could suggest additional savings on chilling expenses in the summertime since toaster ovens won't move temperature to the remaining portion of the home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUUUUMMM!! I'm definitely going to have to give this a try within the next few weeks. Thanks for sharing so many delicious oatmeal recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. greetings all. to the author or creator of an existing conten here I thank you and is always in to success. . by toko alat bantu sex, obat kuat pria, alat bantu sex wanita, alat bantu sex pria

    ReplyDelete
  15. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...