Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Honeydew Overnight Oatmeal

For the most part, I have transitioned beautifully to urban life. I love public transportation, bustling sidewalks, diverse eateries, and city parks surrounded by cement and skyscrapers. The one thing that continues to challenge me is grocery shopping.


I do not own a car in New Jersey, so I either walk or take public transit. I have several different grocery options, but all of which are at least a mile away. This is not a terrible walk, but it can get uncomfortable when I'm lugging heavy grocery bags. Thus, items like melons, squash, and big cartons of almond milk can be a pain.

I treated myself last weekend to a big, beautiful honeydew. Carrying it royally sucked, but it was worth it once I cut into it, and blended it into this oatmeal. :)

Honeydew Overnight Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: Overnight
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup diced honeydew (the riper, the better!)
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • 1 tsp honey or other sweetener
  • 1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Blend first two ingredients together, preferably in a Magic Bullet-esque blender.
  2. Combine all ingredients in a mason jar.
  3. Cover with lid and shake, shake, shake until combined.
  4. Store in the refrigerator overnight (or for several hours). Eat cold or warm up in the microwave! I topped mine with more honeydew chunks and shredded coconut.
Powered by Recipage

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Could you get one of those little folding grocery carts? I'm sure Chinatown has inexpensive ones. I used one when I was in Spain and it made heavy groceries much easier to bring home, but I also never had to take public transit home from stores.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...