Friday, May 25, 2012

Blood Orange, Cranberry, and Pistachio Oatmeal

Have you ever been in a moment so perfect--when everything you appreciate most in life is happening all at once--that you are rendered speechless and can only look around in awe?


These moments seem to pop up when I least expect them. For example, last night I barely knew the people I was hanging out with (the exception being the girl that invited me). However, halfway through the night as we were sitting around laughing and having stimulating, intellectual conversation (a rare find at my age), I could do nothing but smile and take a mental photograph of that moment.

Yes, intellectual conversation is all it takes to make me happy. :) I am an English major, after all.


Anyway, I almost made Strawberry Banana Oatmeal this morning, but then I decided I wanted to give you a new recipe. This one, in all its "bloody" glory (not funny?), is one I've been tweaking for a while. I bought a bag of these oranges (which are rarely, if ever, available in South Dakota) from a farmer's market in San Diego, and I knew right away they'd end up in a bowl of oatmeal. Surprisingly, as strong of a taste as blood oranges have, the flavor gets diluted or something in oatmeal, so I had to find a way to enhance it and give it the spotlight. It was being a little shy. :)

Have you ever noticed how unattractive pistachios are? :)

But alas, this one is finally ready to make its debut. Oh, and I'll let you in a little secret: this one is also good with chocolate chips on top. ;)

Blood Orange, Cranberry, and Pistachio Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 2 small blood oranges, or 1 bigger one
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/8 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • handful of dried cranberries
  • small handful of pistachios
Instructions
  1. Begin by prepping your blood oranges. Cut one in half across its mid-section, like you would for a grapefruit. Then, I take a paring knife and slide it down each side of every segment. That will make them easier to spoon out. Once your have one prepped, repeat with the other orange.
  2. Bring milk (do NOT use all water for this recipe; I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
  3. Spoon out the segments from your blood orange halves and add to the oatmeal. Stir.
  4. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add ginger, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
  5. Add cranberries. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, raisins, sunflower seeds), do so now.
  6. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice pistachios, and any other toppings you'd like (shredded coconut, chocolate chips, etc.).
Powered by Recipage

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...