Monday, May 21, 2012

Pumpkin Banana Oatmeal

I think my internal calendar is confused...


Lately, I've been going through a pumpkin phase. It's not very summer-ish of me, but I can't stop making oatmeal with pumpkin! I just find something so warm, cozy, and comforting about pumpkin. It reminds me of cool autumn days, light sweaters, football games, and trees ablaze with orange and red leaves. Favorite season? Yep.



I first came up with the pumpkin-banana combination last summer. My family had just come back from our vacation to Colorado, where I had purchased a jar of pumpkin butter from Estes Park. I stirred some in to my basic banana oatmeal, and BOOM! Life changed forever.

I may have run out of pumpkin butter, but I figured out how to replicate the dish using pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. If you'd like a little autumn nostalgia, try this recipe soon!


Pumpkin Banana Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 ripe banana (or 1/2)
  • 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. I also add a spoonful of milled flax at the same time as my oats.
  2. Mash up the banana and add to the oatmeal. (Alternatively, you could mash half a banana and slice the other half as a topping, if your banana isn't too ripe!) Then, add the pumpkin puree and stir.
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add pumpkin pie spice and a pinch of salt. Stir.
  4. If you'd like to add any additional ingredients (coconut oil, raisins, sunflower seeds), do so now. I like this oatmeal with raisins.
  5. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any additional toppings (shredded coconut, pecans or other nuts, sliced banana, etc.). If you'd like it sweeter, drizzle with maple syrup or honey.
Powered by Recipage

P.S. I updated the pictures for Strawberry Banana Oatmeal and Almond Joy Oatmeal. SO much better...

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...