Saturday, May 26, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Latte Oatmeal

As I've said before, coffee was never a big part of my life. It wasn't until I started ignorantly dieting several years ago that my interest in the drink really blossomed (What? No calories??). I would drink the stuff black during my brief stint as an office assistant the summer after my freshmen year of college. Brewing and drinking coffee (and cleaning up the machine afterward) gave me a break from my eight hours of scanning and shredding. 


As a result, when I returned to school in the fall for my sophomore year, I was completely clueless about the nutrition of specialty coffee drinks. I had a few extra minutes before my Western Civilization class, so I stopped at Java City, the Starbucks-like company on our campus. I was in the mood for something sweeter (so not black coffee), but I had no idea what anything on the menu went (mocha? latte?? americano??!?). I did, however, see a large poster promoting the in-season Pumpkin Spice Javalanche (blended drink). Feeling adventurous, I ordered one of those.


It wasn't until I returned to my room after class and did my online research that I realized I had just consumed over 500 calories through a straw. I honestly went into panic mode and called my mom in hysterics.

Moments like that taught me two lessons. First of all, splurging once in a while will not cause you gain ten pounds overnight. Obviously. But on the other hand, it taught me to be aware of the insane nutritional content of commercial food.

For this reason, I love recreating restaurant meals at home, using herbs and spices and proper cooking methods, as opposed to salt, sugar, butter, and cheese. Even better, I like recreating meals as porridge...like this pumpkin spice latte oatmeal!

Pumpkin Spice Latte Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 2/3 cup strong brewed coffee
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Bring coffee and milk of choice to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
  2. Once more of the liquid has dissolved, add pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, a tiny pinch of salt, and maple syrup. Stir. Adjust amount of sweetener as necessary.
  3. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and/or more coffee, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, honey, nuts, etc.).
Powered by Recipage



**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. I just made this, this morning. OMG it was amazing, and totally fitting for this cold, wet and dark "summer" weather that we're having here atm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad!! I was afraid I would be the only one to like it, haha.

      Delete
    2. I can guess the coffee-pumpkin spice taste wouldn't be for everyone, but I'm definitely sold! I'm set on trying all your other recipes too, especially if they'll be as good as this one!

      Delete
  2. Java City? Javalanche? Did you go to Grand Valley? (I visit friends there often and man, if they have a Pumpkin Spice Latte Javalanche then I have to go!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! Java City is actually a chain. I even saw one when I was in Dublin! I'm fairly certain all Java Cities will carry the Pumpkin Spice Javalanches in the fall.

      Delete
  3. Planning on making this today! Got a can of pumpkin in the pantry just crying out to be used! This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrote a blog post about this awesome recipe, and the slight modifications I made. I credited your blog for the inspiration. Here's a link :) http://rugratchow.blogspot.com/2013/07/pumpkin-spice-latte-oatmeal.html

      Delete
    2. Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing on your blog! Now I kind of want this soon...

      Delete
  4. I just made this using butternut squash puree instead of pumpkin (I love using squash in oatmeal) and it was delicious!!! Thanks for this awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...