Friday, September 14, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Yep. My Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal was a hit, so I decided to try it out on the stove as well. :) Everything's better on the stove, right? Right??


This recipe is perfect because autumn is definitely setting in. I know this because each day when my alarm goes off at 5:35, it's a little darker outside. :( And each morning, it's a little chillier on our walk to work. Autumn is admittedly my favorite season, but I'm not a huge fan of those two particular characteristics.
Also, not to brag or anything, but I think these are some of my best pictures to date. LOOK AT THEM.


The recipe is quite similar to the baked version. The baking powder is omitted and the liquid proportions are different. Also, the good news is that there is significantly less honey used on the stove. For some reason, anything that goes in the oven comes out less sweeter than when it went in, so it requires a lot of sweetener to taste good in the end. I'm not sure why this is; you'll have to ask Alton Brown! Finally, I also added a tiny bit of molasses. This is something I do frequently when imitating a baked good on the stove (like in my Banana Bread Oatmeal). I believe it mimics the depth of roasted flavors that come from baking in an oven.


Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c original almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I recommend flax.)
  2. Wait a minute or two, and then add pumpkin puree. Stir.
  3. Once more of the liquid has dissolved, add vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt. Stir.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings. I recommend pecans or walnuts.
Powered by Recipage

Variations:


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

20 comments:

  1. Made this for my breakfast today - soooo good!! Thanks for the tip!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am DROOLING over your pumpkin recipes and I can't choose what one to do tomorrow morning, so I guess I'll just try them all next week. Your recipes are all so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good and I have some pumpkin in the fridge and now I know where to use it up! I've been quite obsessed with oats recently so I'm happy that I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried this with steel cut oatmeal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that oatmeal or pumpkin anything could get any better, but combining them, WOW! That looks SO yummy! Thanks for the idea and recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delish! I plan on trying it soon. Question: you said you like to add molasses, but I didn't see that in the ingredients list. Did you mean maple syrup? Or did you accidentally omit the molasses from the ingredients list?
    Either way, sounds great! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I wanted to let you know I featured you on Sugar Blossoms today. Stop by and check it out! http://sweetsugarblossoms.blogspot.com/2013/09/i-freakin-love-pumpkin.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. love, LOVE the inclusion of the "big batch" recipie as well as single serving. if you could include this more frequently it would be very much appreciated! thanks for all of your oatmeal-y awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe is great! I eat it almost everyday! I do change one thing, instead of maple syrup I use 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites. This makes the texture and taste even better, plus it adds some extra protein! It's a trick I use in almost every oatmeal recipe, and it works great in this one! Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very happy to share this little awesome testimony about Dr AZIBA a great Herbal Doctor who help me Enlarge my penis size.3.2 cm to 8.3 cm longer with his herbal cream mixture, my wife is now so amazed with the autonomous size of my penis , if you are in need of the Enlargement product help to Enlarge your penis to become bigger and stronger and also to help in LOW SPERM COUNT I advice you to contact Dr Aziba on his email ( PRIESTAZIBASOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL COM ) or contact Him on Whatsapp/Chat with Number +2348100368288. His one of the best Herbal Doctors in AFRICA if your penis is 4.2 cm and want to get it reach 9.2 cm within three weeks Dr AZIBA is also specialized there and on LOW SPERM COUNT i advise you to contact him for help DR AZIBA whatsapp number +2348100368288....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!!
    We are urgently in need of kidney donors to help patients who face lifetime dialysis problems unless they undergo kidney transplant. Donate one kidney and get Financial Reward. Contact us if interested via email: kidneyfcentre@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kidney donor needed urgently at Apollo Hospital, We offer huge amount for kidney seller only contact me via WhatsApp number: +918122208392 Email: apollohospitalkidneydep@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...