Friday, July 20, 2012

Coconut-Lime Oatmeal with Apples

The best thing ever happened when I was at the supermarket the other day: organic Red Delicious apples were on SALE. Granted, it was still $1.99/lb, but that's still much better than 2.99/lb!


My soul always dies a little bit during the summer months when apples are out of season. Why can't all produce be in season all the time? :)

Okay, I don't really mean that. There is something exciting about fruits and veggies coming in and out of season. It also adds a sentimental value; squash and pumpkins and apples make me dream of autumn leaves and crisp, cool breezes; sweet corn and zucchini remind me of hot summer cookouts; asparagus and rhubarb and strawberries make me grin with the thought of spring and the promise of warmer days.

Still...sometimes I just want an apple. An in-season, on-sale, organic apple. Sometimes I want fresh kale. Sometimes I want big, crisp, snappy asparagus. I don't want to wait!


But alas, I must. So it makes me smile when organic apples randomly go on sale in mid-July (even if it is Red Delicious, and not Braeburn, my usual choice). No, it's not shopping in-season. No, it's not shopping local. But I only bought two of them, and I enjoyed the crap out of them.


So what did I do with these apples? Well, I've been pumping out coconut recipes lately (haven't you noticed?). I don't buy coconut milk as often as others because it's not quite as versatile, so when I do have it, I feel immense pressure to try out all the coconut-themed recipe ideas on "The List." This was one of them. Now, to be honest, I think you could use the coconut-lime base for almost any fruit; one that comes to mind for me is blackberries. Nummy! I listed several other possibilities below; feel free to try out your own!

Coconut-Lime Oatmeal with Apples

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 red apple
  • juice of one lime (~2 tbsp)
  • pinch of salt
  • shredded coconut for topping
Instructions
  1. Bring coconut milk to a boil, add 1/2 cup regular rolled oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Dice up apple into the oatmeal.
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add lime juice and a pinch of salt.
  4. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
  5. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of coconut milk and shredded coconut.
Powered by Recipage

*Instead of apples, you could use: blackberries, kiwi, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, or even honeydew!

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah, I totally agree with you - it's annoying when you want apples, and they are twice the price that you want to pay! I wish they would go on sale where I live - you are lucky!
    Glad you're savouring every bite...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear someone share's my grief... Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Please ignore the apostrophe I randomly inserted in "shares." Ugh! I seem to be picking up my students' bad habits! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm just curious- what kind of coconut milk do you use? At my store there is original, unsweetened, unsweetened vanilla (which I believe just uses vanilla extact), and sweetened vanilla. And then of course they have all of these in shelf-stable (I believe that's what you'd call it) and refrigerated. So far I've just gone with unsweetened refrigerated... What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally use the original refrigerated kind. However, I also have started buying the shelf-stable kind from Trader Joe's because I share a fridge with three other girls, and there's not enough room for me to stock multiple kinds of nut milks any more. :) In other words, either kind works. I would avoid the flavored kinds, though. I think the original tastes more coconutty than the unsweetened kind, but they are both good!

      Delete
    2. Okay, I think I'll have to try the original then! Also, this reminds me very much of key lime pie..(plus apples of course!) very delicious with a little maple syrup on top! Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Ooooo, I like the way you think!!

      Delete
  3. This would be yummy with mashed banana, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...