Sunday, June 23, 2013

Mocha Sauce

The hardest part about moving is the whole grocery situation. Have you experienced this? You're leaving soon, so you want to be finished with all your produce and have as little grocery items to move/toss as possible. However, you also don't want to starve to death or survive entirely off restaurant food for the final few days.

This issue is further complicated if you are a food blogger. I'm trying to maintain a blog while my pantry and refrigerator become more barren by the second. For this reason, today I'm sharing a recipe for a topping. I will not apologize for this (even though I know you'd much rather have a new oatmeal recipe) because this glaze is ballin' and you should try it whether or not you're kitchen is better stocked than mine at the moment.


This sauce took five ingredients and a pinch of salt. It came together in less than a minute. It can be easily adjusted for preferences in sweetness and coffee flavor.
I paired it with Banana and Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal. However, I think an even better option would be to use it on pancakes. Oh my god. Can you imagine this stuff dripping down a stack of oatmeal pancakes?? Like my Banana and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes? That's what I wanted to make this morning, but I was feeling too lazy. Now I regret it. Boo.


If you dislike the taste of bitter things, you'll want to increase the amount of maple syrup you use. I love bitterness (I speak it fluently, actually), so a 1/2 tsp was adequate for me. I can imagine that it would be even sweeter, silkier, and more rich if you made this glaze by melting down chocolate bars or chocolate chips; however, I have a long and storied history of burning chocolate, so that's not something I attempt in my kitchen anymore. If you want to show off, go on and do it then...

(Could you hear the bitterness in that last sentence??)

Mocha Sauce

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 1 min
Ingredients (serves 1-2)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp flax meal
  • 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
  • 1/2 tsp (or more) maple syrup
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. It will be difficult at first, but I assure you (with perseverance) the cocoa powder will eventually surrender to the liquid ingredients.
  2. Do a quick taste of your mixture. It will taste slightly different once you microwave it and it comes together better, but you should be able to judge at this point whether you need more maple syrup or coffee granules. Add as you see necessary.
  3. Place in the microwave for 15 seconds. Take it out and stir. It should be pretty silky at this point. Place back in the microwave for another 10 seconds.
  4. Drizzle over your favorite oatmeal or pancake recipe!
Powered by Recipage

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. I'm right in the middle of the awkward moving/groceries dance myself right now and I feel your pain. Luckily, I think I can scrounge up everything for this mocha glaze, it looks delicious! I'm shocked at how not-unhealthy it seems too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, that's my specialty! :) I hope you like it!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I'm totally addicted to your maple nut sauce recipe but this one is seriously tempting. I love mocha! Will definitely be giving this one a go tomorrow :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. is there anything I could sub for the flax meal? I really want to make this and I have everything except that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, you could probably skip it. :) It will just be a tad thinner, which probably isn't a bad thing.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...