Saturday, July 6, 2013

Salted Maple, Apple, and Pecan Oatmeal

I hope everyone had an excellent 4th of July. It's definitely not my favorite holiday, but I had a pleasant camping trip with my parents. Yes, I'm back in the Midwest for a few weeks before starting another school year in Manhattan!

I know many of my readers are from outside the U.S. (hello!), but I hope your July 4th was nice, too. ^_^ If not, I have the perfect recipe to make your week better:


Apples. Pecans. Maple syrup.

And it's SALTED!

I originally came up with the idea for salted maple and pecan oatmeal, but at the last minute I decided to include apples, and I'm glad that I did. It added an extra sweetness and boost of nutrition.


As I ate this, I realized it was the first time I used my quick-cooking steel-cut oats without a banana. The texture is amazing. I'm used to bananas creating an amazing texture, so I was stunned by the texture of this without the banana. I really cannot tell you how much I love these oats. But still, I will continue to list old-fashioned rolled oats in the recipe, just to keep things simple.

...But for real, if you want a silky, creamy, nutty, magical breakfast, use 1/4 cup of quick-cooking steel-cut oats instead. ^_^

Which do you prefer? Rolled or steel-cut?

Salted Maple, Apple, & Pecan Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
    For the Oatmeal
    • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
    • 1/2 cup regular rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
    • 1/2 an apple (or a whole one)
    • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    • pinch of salt
    Topping
    • handful of pecans
    • maple syrup
    • coarse salt (like kosher)
    Instructions
    1. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
    2. Dice apple and add to oatmeal immediately. Stir.
    3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Stir.
    4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with pecans (whole, halved, or crumbled are all fine), drizzle with maple syrup, and finish with a heavy pinch (or two!) of coarse salt (the coarser, the better!). Add an extra splash of milk if your oatmeal is a little dry.
    Powered by Recipage


    **You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

    10 comments:

    1. This looks amazing... my favorite flavors (apple and pecan pies) together! Will try this tomorrow with plain quick-cooking GF oatmeal packets from Nature's Path.

      ReplyDelete
    2. You make me want to go to the supermarket to buy a bag of pecans. Salted caramel is good, and so I believe this salted maple was extraordinary!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I am literally drooling over this recipe! The maple syrup was a shout out to your Canadian friends for Canada Day right? Just kidding ;) Definitely going to be making this soon.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Of COURSE! :) I do love Canada, though. Thanks, and I hope you like it!

        Delete
    4. Oh, it looks absolutely delicious :) There's nothing better than oatmeal in the morning.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I just found your blog a couple of weeks ago and ever sense I have been making oatmeal every morning! I ran to the store this morning to pick up more oats and decided this was the oatmeal I was going to try out today. It was so delicious, I never knew oatmeal could taste this good!! Thanks so much for the great healthy oatmeal recipes and keep it up!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Delicious! My first time for oatmeal in over 9 months. Smoothies are my main breakfast. I followed recipe exactly. I used half cup water and a half cup unsweetened canned coconut milk. Yummy!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...