Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Orange, Maple, and Pecan Oatmeal

I promised you a recipe with oranges, right? Well, here we go!


Now, I've told you about the list - the lengthy checklist on my iPod of all the oatmeal ideas that I've yet to make and post about. The weird thing is, only about half of my recipes actually originate from that list. The rest are born on mornings when I walk in the kitchen, analyze my limited ingredients, and throw something together (exhibit A). This is one of those recipes.

That's not to say that this recipe is not well-executed or "good enough." On the contrary, this oatmeal is one of my favorites that I've ever created! I normally am iffy about oatmeal with oranges as it surprisingly lacks flavor sometimes, but there's enough going on in this recipe that it packs plenty of punch!


Look at that picture! The maple syrup! The flax seed!

Orange, Maple, & Pecan Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 naval orange
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/8 cup chopped pecans
Instructions
  1. Prep your oranges.
  2. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c original almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I used flax.)
  3. Add half (or up to 2/3) of your orange segments. Save the rest for the topping. Stir; the orange segments should break apart into little pockets.
  4. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt. Stir.
  5. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, stir in pecans, and transfer to a bowl. Top with remaining orange segments and another splash of milk, and you can also add more maple syrup and pecans!
Powered by Recipage

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. In a way, I'm super pleased I've been away from your blog for a while because I have an awesome backlog of oatmeal recipes to go through - so exciting! I already have my eye on that reader favourite, peanut butter cookie baked oatmeal, and that German chocolate one sounds and looks ridiculous. And I love the simplicity of the flavours of this one and can't wait to give it a try with some of the final few winter tangerines I have in my cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Making the recipes your own--nice! I bet tangerines would be lovely. :) Thanks for your sweet comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...