Thursday, March 21, 2013

Grapefruit Overnight Oatmeal

I'm still disappointed that my Grapefruit Oatmeal recipe isn't more popular. How many glittering reviews do I have to give it before people try it out? What I love about it most is that the oatmeal and coconut milk mellow out the bite of the grapefruit, leaving you with just the sweet, citrusy flavor of the grapefruit. No bitterness! The only thing I don't like about it is the prep work; segmenting grapefruits is such a bother.


Well, here's a way to save some time. You can do the prep work the night before, and you'll be able to wake up to delicious grapefruit oatmeal in the morning without dirtying a knife!
Did I merely use the same picture for this post as I did for the original stovetop recipe? Mmhmm, yes, I did. Get over it. Although Daylight Saving Time has allowed me to photograph AFTER work, I still can't take pictures in the morning. (I wake up at 5:freaking30, remember??) Thus, overnight recipes remain unphotographed. Deal. With. It.

Plus, it's the exact same recipe--just prepared differently.

Grapefruit Overnight Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: Overnight
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1/2 a grapefruit
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice (I recommend coconut)
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 2 tbsp shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup coconut yogurt, or coconut-flavored almond yogurt (optional)
  • pinch of ground ginger
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Prep grapefruit and spoon segments into a mason jar.
  2. Combine all remaining ingredients in the jar.
  3. Cover with lid and shake, shake, shake until combined.
  4. Store in the refrigerator overnight (or for several hours). Eat cold or warm up in the microwave! It's best warmed up with more shredded coconut on top...and a drizzle of honey!
Powered by Recipage

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. You could try adding coffee to it. And maybe some type of sweetener (e.g. dates, syrup, honey etc) to mellow the bitterness. It's sooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaaat?! This sounds intriguing. I must try this! And yes, I always add honey. The combination is fabs!

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of grapefruit and coconut milk, sounds like such a fun flavor combination.
    I also completely understand what you mean about how annoying it is when your favorite blog posts aren't popular, that happens to me all the time! The ones I work hard on people barely read and the ones I, ahem, throw together get plenty of views. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the original recipe. I microwave mine on high for 3 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I am entirely incompetent at microwaving oatmeal (unless it's instant). Every time has resulted in the water boiling over and making a mess. :(

      Delete
  4. Ahahaha, I did exactly this to your original grapefruit & dark chocolate oatmeal :) Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this using whatever similar ingredients I already had which turned out to be pomelo (less popular but sweeter cousin of grapefruit), sweetened coconut flakes, and european style yogurt. The tart yogurt and honey were a bit strong and masked the flavor of the pomelo so I would go a bit easy on them next time. Yes, there will be a next time because it was pretty darn tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 Studies REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...