Thursday, May 2, 2013

Lemon and Kiwi Oatmeal

I hope nobody is bored of my lemon recipes! This will be the last one for a while, I promise. And trust me, this one is a fabulous one to finish with. It's bright, fruity, and energizing! I made this for dinner on a beautifully sunny day (didn't need a jacket!), and I savored every golden spoonful while lounging on my wood floor next to an open window. Oh, spring! I love thee.


I resent the idea that oatmeal is only a "winter food." Boo on that! If you haven't noticed, I enjoy oatmeal year-round.  The heat doesn't bother me because I'm usually cold in the mornings, regardless of the season. Of course, I could always prepare refrigerator oats instead...but I rarely eat cold oatmeal anyway. As I've mentioned before, I always heat up my overnight oats before eating them. There is just something so comforting about warm porridge!


How about you? Do you only eat oatmeal in the wintertime?

Lemon & Kiwi Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 ripe banana
  • juice of one lemon (~3 tbsp), or 1 tsp lemon extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 kiwi, peeled and diced
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Thoroughly mash the banana and add to the oats. Stir!
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add lemon juice and salt. Stir.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top oatmeal with kiwi and add another splash of your milk of choice, along with any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I just started reading your blog tonight.. and it's pretty neat! I think I'll be trying a few of your ideas :-).

    One little teeny thing.. which you wouldn't have realised.. it's actually kiwifruit. Not Kiwi. It's a common misconception in North America and Canada and even the UK sometimes. A Kiwi is a small flightless bird, native to NZ. It's also the colloquial term for a New Zealander (me!) :-). We export a lot of 'kiwifruit', hence the reason they got that name. I think they were actually originally called Chinese Gooseberries.

    Anyhow, just some useless info for ya :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren!

    My name is Alex Orlov, and I'm a writer at DailyBurn. We're a health and fitness website with a new editorial site and we'd love to share your amazing oatmeal recipe in an upcoming feature article.

    We will include a photo and a link to your recipe, with proper photo crediting as requested. Note: we will not be taking the recipe itself, but just the photo and link, so we hope to drive you some nice traffic as well!

    Would this usage be OK? Please email me at alex@dailyburn.com to let me know.

    If we could hear back from you by Sunday 10/27 that would be great. Thanks so much in advance! Look forward to working with you and your awesome blog soon!

    Best,
    Alex
    --
    Alexandra Orlov
    Editorial Assistant / DailyBurn Inc.
    555 West 18th Street, NYC, 10011
    email: alex@dailyburn.com
    twitter: @amo27
    phone: 212.404.1096
    http://dailyburn.com/life

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...