Saturday, September 21, 2013

Gingerbread Steel-Cut Oatmeal

I've made Gingerbread Oatmeal before. You might remember it. It was one of my trials. One of my struggles. One of my white flags.

I gave up and just borrowed a recipe from Vegan Yack Attack.


This recipe is mine. Well, I can't take all the credit, of course. VYA's recipe did influence me a lot. However, I made sure to include some bananas in my version because I'm stubborn like that. I'm grateful I did because this was one spicy [insert colorful language here]. The banana helped mellow out all those cloves.


For the recipe below, I make the suggestion to start with just half the spices listed if you're sensitive to spices like I am (cloves are not my favorite). You can always add more! Once the oatmeal has reached the right consistency, give it a taste and decide if you want to add the full amount or not. I wish I had done this myself, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it anyway. I just drizzled a gallon moderate amount of maple syrup on top to compensate.


Gingerbread Steel-Cut Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist (adapted from Vegan Yack Attack)
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 2 cups milk of choice
  • 2 cups water, or more milk
  • 1 cup steel cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 tsp flax seed (optional)
  • 1 tsp flax meal (optional)
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 2 tsp mild molasses
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/8 tsp salt
Instructions
  1. Bring milk and water to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. If using optional flax, add now.
  2. While oats are cooking, mash up bananas thoroughly. When you have no clumps remaining, add to oatmeal.
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add molasses, maple syrup, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. If you're not a fan of super-spiced foods, consider putting in just HALF the spice amounts first; taste, and then add more little by little until you're satisfied. Stir.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (pecan pieces, crystallized ginger, raisins, sliced fruit). A drizzle of maple syrup or honey makes this fantastic!
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Do you think leaving out the molasses would be OK in this recipe just trying to save on the sugar content. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to limit sugar, too, but molasses is actually a necessity to create a gingerbread flavor. If anything, reduce the amount of maple syrup.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...