Saturday, March 8, 2014

Carrot Cranberry Oatmeal

Where, oh where, have all my carrot recipes been? Despite my deep love for carrots (and zucchini!) in oatmeal, my blog has been lacking in those recipes lately. Why? No grater. :(

Well, problem solved: I finally own a grater. Expect carrot and zucchini recipes in the future. :)


I recently realized I have some cranberry goodies left from the holiday season. My roommate had a bag of fresh cranberries (which she said I was welcome to), and I had half a jar of Trader Joe's cranberry sauce. Perfect!


This oatmeal has a similar taste and texture to carrot cake oatmeal, but the cranberry addition adds a tart twist. The cranberry sauce is optional (and good luck trying to find it this time of year!).


How do you feel about carrot cake? It's actually one of my favorite desserts, but I know some people find it "offensive" to even consider putting vegetables in a cake. Who cares?? IT'S DELICIOUS!

Carrot Cranberry Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/3 cup grated carrot (measure after grating)
  • handful of fresh cranberries
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of allspice
  • splash of lemon or orange juice
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Add cranberries and grated carrot immediately. Cover with a lid! The cranberries will pop and oatmeal will go everywhere. :)
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add maple syrup, vanilla extract, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, lemon juice, and salt. Stir.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (cranberry sauce, shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I love the addition of the carrot to this - I am eating my oatmeal right now - wish I would have seen this post a few minutes ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a perfect breakfast, i love the recipe, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a remarkable internet promotion strategy to get important worth for the non-income providing shopping center. The particular builders typically start endorsing the position a couple of months or else decades just before design actually will become. construction companies san francisco

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...