Saturday, April 5, 2014

Carrot Ginger Oatmeal

Did you know I used to hate ginger? It's true. If you look at my early recipes when I used ginger, it would always be a teensy tiny pinch. I can't remember when my feelings changed, but I have a much higher tolerance for it now.


I much prefer fresh ginger, but now that I've acquired a taste for it, I'm fine with ground ginger. I thought half a teaspoon would be too much for this recipe, so I started with just a quarter teaspoon. After a few tastes, I continued adding more bit by bit, until I finally had added half a teaspoon total. Perfect.


How do you feel about ginger? Yay or nay?

Carrot Ginger Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/3 cup grated carrot (about 5-6 baby carrots)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now. I used flax.)
  2. Add grated carrot immediately.
  3. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, ginger, and salt. If you are nervous about adding so much ginger at once, start with 1/4 tsp, taste, and add more until you're satisfied. Stir.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan or ginger, but have no objections o it in my pumpkin pie spice. Also, the ginger in your carrot-pineapple oatmeal was delicious! I'll have to make this soom, but first I think I'll make your German Chocolate baked oatmeal (I just whipped up some coconut-pecan butter).

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY. I love ALL spices though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same - I never used to like ginger and now I do. I think carrot cake helped me overcome my ginger-phobia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I wonder if replacing the carrot for carrot juice could turn this recipe into an overnight recipe. Either way, I like the idea of using carrot juice in oatmeal. Perhaps an applesauce oatmeal with carrot juice would be a good way to make carrot-apple oats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks delicious! dear lauren i was wondering if you've ever tried cooking with oat bran? supposedly it's 'more' nutritious and im just curious! ps id love if you were able to do a cinnamon bun inspired bowl, just a suggestion c:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oat bran is more nutritious than flour (or at least it's easier on my stomach) when used in baking, but it's not more nutritious that rolled oats for porridge. Is that what you mean?

      I use oat bran for muffins and pancakes, but not in my oatmeal. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Lauren,

    It is noticeable that there is a great number of tasty recipes on your site and we would like to suggest you to have a look at the Top Food Blog section on our site, the www.mytaste.com

    myTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility on the web and share/save recipes.

    We would like to give you an opportunity to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on our site, all you have to do is add your blog url here:

    http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog


    If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us at

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...