Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Salted Mango Coconut Oatmeal

I may crave peanut butter and bananas hardcore during the fall and winter months, but during the spring and summer, I definitely crave a different flavor. I've noticed that everyone's cravings change with the seasons*, and my oatmeal is no exception. These tropical, fruity, and citrusy porridge recipes I've been craving are lighter and more refreshing than my usual cozy bowls.

*But let's be honest, peanut butter is appropriate 365 days a year.


For this recipe, I was inspired by these popsicles. I never would have considered salting a tropical recipe like this, but these popsicles were so visually appealing that I wanted to grab one from the screen and try it out. However, I'm perpetually cold (just ask the students who sweat to death in my classroom), so I had no desire to make popsicles. Then I thought, why not try it as oatmeal? So I did.


Although I prefer to salt my chocolate recipes, this was a fascinating flavor combo and I devoured it.


I originally thought the key parts of this recipe were the mango and coconut, and I was going to list the crushed peanuts as optional. However, after trying it both with and without the peanuts, I realized they were just as crucial. In fact, without the peanuts, the saltiness seemed a little odd.

Trust me, you need the peanuts. Without the peanuts? A little iffy. With the peanuts? Home run.

Salted Mango Coconut Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup coconut milk (preferably from a carton, not a can)
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/2 cup diced mango
  • pinch of salt
  • coarse salt, crushed peanuts, and shredded coconut for topping
Instructions
  1. Bring coconut milk to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Add diced mango and pinch of salt and stir. (You can save some mango for topping, if you'd like.)
  3. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add another splash of coconut milk, shredded coconut, crushed peanuts, and a heavy pinch of coarse salt. (Tip: I toasted my coconut.)
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Love the pics! I'm not a fan of mango though...what do you think would be a good substition? Banana maybe? I check your blog every morning for a new post and tell everyone about your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mango is just one of the most fantastic fruits even in existence, even if it does love getting itself all over your sleeves and down your elbows and all over the kitchen counter. Can't wait till the crates start arriving:D

    I never would have thought of salting it, though - it seems so assertively sweet that to do so would feel distinctly odd. That having said, I LOVE salty-sweet combinations. Once this place is overflowing with mangoes and if/when I get bored of doing the same thing with them over and over, this'll be on my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I'm so intrigued by this! Ugh, why does my kitchen currently have nearly every kind of nut except for peanuts???
    I love the new look of the blog, btw. And I can sympathize with being perpetually cold :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...