Monday, May 28, 2012

Coconut Mango Oatmeal

I used to call myself a locavore, which is the new trendy term that means one sources all of his or her food from local farmers and all that jazz. I still strongly believe in the moment. However...


Being a locavore in South Dakota is nearly impossible. It would mean eating virtually nothing nine months out of the year. It would mean having very little variety in my diet. It would mean never having a mango, pineapple, banana, peach, orange, grapefruit, kiwi, avocado, grapes, or any other fruit that only grows in the tropics/subtropics.

Sorry, but that's not the life I want to live. Seriously: if I let myself survive solely off local agriculture right now, I'd only be able to eat asparagus and rhubarb. We don't even have strawberries yet.

I want MANGOES. Mangoes, mangoes, mangoes. One of my all-time favorite fruits. Because I believe so strongly in reducing my carbon footprint and supporting mostly local agriculture, I only let myself buy mangoes once or twice a year, so it's definitely a treat when I have it.


And this oatmeal was delicious...AND super easy. Four ingredients??! Yep. :)

Coconut Mango Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/2 a mango, diced
  • shredded coconut for topping
Instructions
  1. Bring coconut milk to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
  2. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add diced mango and a pinch of salt.
  3. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of coconut milk and shredded coconut.
Powered by Recipage

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...