Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fruity Tea-Steeped Oatmeal with Kiwi

I'm extremely picky about my teas. If it's weak and boring, get it out of my sight. However, if it's too strong and the flavors are super intense, I'm not a fan of that, either.


This makes purchasing new teas extremely risky. They come in packs of twenty, so if I end up not liking it--too bad! I still have nineteen more. Luckily, I've developed ways to use up the teas I don't like.


For example, I once purchased a cheap pack of chamomile that was flavored (most likely artificially) by honey and lemon. I love honey and lemon in my chamomile, so I thought, "Perfect!!" It was far from perfect, though. The flavors were fakey and overpowered the chamomile instead of subtly enhancing it. I absolutely hated it. Instead of throwing it away, however, I simply paired it with a bag of regular chamomile and just let it steep for thirty seconds or so, just enough for it to add a little extra flavor to the regular chamomile. It still wasn't as awesome as adding real honey and lemon juice, but it at least helped me use up my resources instead of throwing them away.


And then there's super fruity teas. Sometimes, I think I'll like them, which is why I keep giving them chances. However, I always end up feeling like I'm drinking unsweetened or watered-down Kool-Aid. Fruity teas always have SUCH a strong flavor, and when they're not sweetened, they just frustrate my taste buds. Fruit is supposed to be cool and sweet, not hot and bland!


I currently have a package of nineteen Yumberry Blackcurrant (whatever that is) tea bags in my cupboard, and I cannot think of a better way to use them than in oatmeal. Cooking oatmeal in a fruity tea gives it a unique flavor quality that nothing else could. Obviously, the fruits that you add will depend on the type of tea you're using. This tea had a strong berry flavor; I considered adding berries, but I thought that might be "too much," so I went with kiwi, which I thought would complement it nicely (I was right). Have fun and experiment with your favorite fruits (and teas)!

Proof that I don't waste too much energy on exact measurements ;)
Fruity Tea-Steeped Oatmeal with Kiwi

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup water
  • fruit-flavored teabag
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1 or 2 kiwis
  • 1/4 cup applesauce (I used unsweetened)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
Instructions
  1. Steep a fruity tea (I used Stash Yumberry Blackcurrant) in 1 cup hot water for at LEAST ten minutes (I let mine steep overnight in the fridge).
  2. Bring steeped tea to a boil in a saucepan, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. I also add a spoonful of milled flax at the same time as my oats.
  3. Dice one kiwi and add to the oatmeal.
  4. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add applesauce, vanilla extract, and a tiny pinch of salt. Stir.
  5. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (raisins work well in this recipe; other examples: coconut oil, nuts), do so now.
  6. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice, another kiwi (diced), and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).
Powered by Recipage

**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you! I had this terrible pomegranate strawberry tea someone bought me because it was on sale (never a good sign).

    It was delicious in this.

    PS Currants are berries more common on Europe and Asia. They look something like blueberries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful!! Thank you! I think you'll like a post I have coming up in the next few weeks... :)

      Delete
  2. This. Is. So. Good!!! I'd never thought of using tea before! And we have tons of it. I used Teavana's Strawberry Paraiso loose leaf, and it's amazing with the kiwi! Some raisins, cinnamon and flaxseed meal finished off. I'm in love :) Can't wait to try more tea & fruit combos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, that sounds diiiivvvine. I've been using relatively cheap tea bags. I bet your version beat mine by a mile!

      Delete
  3. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...