I don’t remember much from elementary school—especially anything of importance. However, I easily recall the Ocean Spray vending machine outside the cafeteria. At a certain point in the day (after afternoon recess, I think?), we were allowed to walk by ourselves to the vending machine and put in 50 cents to get a can of Ocean Spray juice.
There were the standard options, like orange, apple, and grape, but my favorite was strawberry kiwi. Now, I shudder at the thought of all this juice and its effect on my beautiful teeth, but I definitely enjoyed it back then.
In honor of all my cavities, I created a much healthier replication of this sugary juice. My porridge contains no added sugar and is less than five ingredients—winner!
Strawberry Kiwi Oatmeal
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 2-3 kiwifruit, peeled
- 5 or more fresh strawberries, hulled
- pinch of salt
- Add milk (I use 1/2 c original almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a saucepan, bring to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Mash kiwi with a fork until relatively smooth (chunks are okay). Alternatively, you could puree in a blender. Add to oatmeal and stir.
- Take two of your strawberries and dice into small chunks. Once more of the liquid in the oatmeal has absorbed, add diced strawberries and salt. Stir.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add another splash of milk, remaining strawberries (I quartered mine), and any other additional toppings (more kiwi, sliced almonds, shredded coconut, etc.).
Powered by Recipage