Let’s all take a moment to acknowledge just how fantastic soyrizo is.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with it, it’s the vegetarian version of chorizo, a Spanish sausage. My first experience with it happened at my favorite restaurant in Newark, Elbow Room. It’s a specialty mac and cheese joint, and it’s the cutest little thing. They have this ridiculous vegan queso mac, made with a housemade vegan cheese sauce (meant to replicate queso fondido), soyrizo, avocado, cilantro, and fried tortilla strips. I was allllllll about that place last year.
But yeah, I dig the soyrizo. It’s spicy, but not unbearably so, and it explodes with mega flavor. I don’t know what chorizo tastes like, and quite frankly, I don’t care. The soyrizo is all I need.
Now that I got that explanation out of the way, let me just say that this savory oatmeal is a dream. My savory recipes are usually little adventures of mine that I enjoy enough to share, but always think, “I’d rather have a sweet oatmeal.” This time, I STAND BY THIS RECIPE. It’s one of the most delicious oatmeal recipes I’ve ever made. The flavor combination was perfect. And the spiciness was perfect. And the creaminess of the sweet potatoes was perfect. And everything was just perfect.
Sweet Potato & Soyrizo Oatmeal
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 7 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 4 oz soy chorizo
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 cup veggie broth, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 small sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- salt and pepper
- avocado, for topping (optional)
- cilantro, for topping (optional)
- Squeeze the “soyrizo” out of its casing onto a small skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, cook onion in a tablespoon of oil (or water) until translucent, and then add broth. Bring to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Let the oats cook for a couple minutes. Then, add sweet potato and stir.
- Add a heavy pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir half of the soyrizo into the oatmeal and set the rest aside. (If you’re a big cilantro fan, you can stir some in at this point.)
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl and top with remaining chorizo and optional avocado and cilantro.
Powered by Recipage