Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Coconut Oatmeal with Strawberries and Chocolate Chips

How do you feel about chocolate chips for breakfast?


Like me, many of my followers are health-conscious. Therefore, I'm extremely curious about the general consensus on chocolate chips for breakfast. Most chips involve a myriad of unwelcome ingredients (ex: milk, sugar, hydrogenated oils). I've also seen a variety of brands make their chips vegan and/or "healthier" by using cocoa liquor instead of actual cocoa to flavor the chips. My current stock (from Trader Joe's) falls into that category, and although it doesn't necessarily impress me, I prefer it over some other sketchy brands I've seen.


But how could I give them up? The nice thing about chocolate chips is that it's easy to control the amount. The oatmeal itself stays healthy and sugarless, and a small handful of chocolate chips add a touch of sweetness and a dash of delicious. Where's the harm?! Thus, I do not intend to give up chocolate chips anytime soon.

For the time being, I will continue eating lovely bowls of porridge like this! Super simple, ridiculously easy, and undeniably tasty. Thank you, local produce market, for carrying strawberries this week!

Coconut Oatmeal with Strawberries & Chocolate Chips

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup water (or more coconut milk)
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup strawberries, hulled
  • handful of semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Bring coconut milk and water to a boil, add oats and salt, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I recommend chia.)
  2. Let it cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Once MOST of the liquid has absorbed, slice or quarter strawberries and add to the oatmeal. Stir.
  4. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
  5. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with chocolate chips, and maybe more strawberries and shredded coconut.
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. It looks amazing, as always. :)

    Happy porridge party day! (Today is the Norwegian porridge day.) It's a bit late now, but I'll have to try something (less fancy) like this tomorrow.

    Thanx! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This oatmeal looks delicious! I still need to try making my oatmeal with coconut milk. I'm ok with chocolate chips for breakfast as long as they're used in moderation without other sweeteners, and they're a somewhat healthy variety. I found some dark chocolate chips that are vegan and grain-sweetened, and I use those occasionally, but I usually just use cacao nibs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel! However, last time I looked for cacao nibs, the only kind I could find was riddled with crap like hydrogenated oils. :/

      And you should totally try oatmeal with coconut milk. :)

      Delete
  3. This looks so good. I love the taste of chocolate in my oatmeal, but I only use cacao nibs or really good dark chocolate with a high cacao content. How can the cacao nibs you found have hydrogenated oils? I thought the whole point of them was to have only the pure cacao bean and nothing else. I'm so sick of all sorts of useless additives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a GREAT question. Oddly enough, I found them in the bulk section of the HEALTH MARKET of a grocery store. WHAT?!

      Delete
  4. Ah you should have a 'Like' button on your blog! Coconut milk makes a good substitute for cream and who doesn't like strawberries & cream? And since you're on the coconut theme, coconut butter is really good too!

    I don't have chocolate chips but use PB&Co Dark Chocolate Dreams. It does contain palm oil which may be considered a nasty by some but I'm okay with it in small amounts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...