What do you do when a hurricane pummels your town and cancels school for four days? Bake. Bake all afternoon. Bake multiple batches of muffins and have your roommates taste-test for you.
Here's the result for you! These muffins are perfect for a healthy breakfast. They're sweet enough to be delicious and satisfying, but not overly sweet like traditional muffins. They are also free of refined sugars and flours. You're welcome!
Sweet Potato Oatmeal Muffins
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Ingredients (~10 mini muffins)
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup water, or more milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweet potato puree
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray muffin tins with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix milk, water ,vanilla extract, sweet potato, and maple syrup.
- In another bowl, mix together oat bran, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to the wet and stir.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (**see below for variations!!**), do so now.
- Fill the muffin tins so they are about 5/6 full. (Note: because the muffins are made with oats, they will not rise as much as conventional muffins.) Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from pan.
Powered by Recipage
Sweet Potato & Chocolate Chip:
Fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (I recommend semi-sweet or dark) during step 4.
Sweet Potato & Cranberry (pictured above):
Fold in 1/3 cup of dried cranberries during step 4.
Sweet Potato & Raisin:
Fold in 1/3 cup of dried raisins during step 4.
Sweet Potato & Nuts:
Add one extra tbsp. of water in step 2 (nuts absorb liquids. If you don't have enough liquid in your batter, your muffins will be dry). Fold in 1/3 cup of chopped raw pecans or walnuts during step 4. (Raw works best because of the baking. I've learned that roasted nuts become gritty and unpleasant if they are baked a second time.)
Sweet Potato & Everything:
Combine any of the above variations for a mega-mix of flavors!
Sub pumpkin puree for the sweet potato puree. Add 1/8 tsp allspice.