Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pomegranate & Chocolate Chip Oatmeal

Got some extra cash to throw around? Buy a pomegranate!


The other day, I saw a fantastic recipe on Pinterest and Finding Vegan for Cocoa Nib and Pomegranate Overnight Oatmeal. I was immediately intrigued, but I knew I wouldn't be making it anytime soon; my typical budget does not allow for pricey pomegranates!


But then something wonderful happened: my roommate bought a pomegranate and offered me half. All my previous plans for pumpkin-themed oatmeal went on hiatus. However, I thought I'd switch up the original recipe and try it on the stove. I have no doubt in my mind, though, that the original recipe would be fantastic.


I changed very little besides the manner of preparation. I used regular almond milk and vanilla extract (the original called for vanilla almond milk). I also opted for chia seeds instead of flax. Other than that, our oatmeal style was very similar, so no major changes were necessary! Major props to Oh My Veggies for this fantastic combination.

Pomegranate & Chocolate Chip Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist (Adapted from Oh My Veggies)
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
  • pinch of salt
  • handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I used chia. The original poster used flax.)
  2. Let cook for a while, and then add vanilla extract, pomegranate arils, and salt.
  3. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and a handful of chocolate chips.
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I just happen to have a pomegranate waiting for me to use and I wanted to use it in my oatmeal! I'll try that soon, excited to taste ~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray! It's fun and different. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  2. I found oatmeal, vanilla flavoring, and cocoa powder left over from previous tenants in my apartment, and my roommate just brought back some home-grown pomegranates, so I made a variation of this today. It turned out great, and I'm excited to try more of your oatmeal recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nummy! I'd like to try that. Cocoa powder is a little healthier than chocolate chips anyway. :)

      Delete
  3. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...