Thursday, October 25, 2012

Yogurt Oatmeal

Stupid easy: that's how I would describe this recipe. Essentially, you take the basic cooking instructions on the oatmeal carton. Then, you add your yogurt of choice. That's it. If you want to get fancy, you add some other stuff. Whatever stuff you want.


Now, let me be clear: yogurt in oatmeal is not everyone's cup of tea. In fact, the first time I tried it, I hated it. I used a very basic strawberry (dairy) yogurt, and the tartness of the yogurt really turned me off in the oatmeal. However, I know it's a genuinely popular concept (even my mom does it!), so I tried it again, except with nondairy yogurt.
I've yet to try soy yogurt, but I'm a big fan of coconut. :) It comes in a plain version, which is nice because it doesn't have extra sugar! However, I experimented with the vanilla flavor this time, just out of curiosity.


You can go about this recipe two ways. The first method is to stir in the yogurt after the oatmeal has finished cooking. This makes the yogurt texture much more prominent for the final product. (This is the method my mother and most people use.) The other method is to add it a little earlier, after a little liquid has absorbed, but while the oats are still cooking. This way, the oats absorb some of the yogurt and it becomes super rich and creamy, as if you cooked your oats in a heavy cream. So luscious! :) This is the method I gave below in the recipe, but feel free to play with your timing.

Yogurt Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1 cup milk of choice, or water
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/4 cup yogurt (I use SoDelicious coconut)
  • pinch of salt
optional add-ins
  • cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract
  • dried fruit
  • nuts
  • chocolate chips
  • shredded coconut
Instructions
  1. Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
  2. Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add yogurt and a tiny pinch of salt (see notes below the picture of yogurt up above).
  3. If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now. In the pictures above, my version included dried cranberries, cashews, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
  4. When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Tried this with plain nonfat dairy yogurt and the optional flax seeds - loved it!! I added the yogurt after some of the liquid had been absorbed the oatmeal thickened up nicely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told my roommate about your blog last week. Today she told me she'd started putting yogurt in oatmeal and loved it. Just thought I'd let you know, you have a new reader! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...