Thursday, October 11, 2012

Coconut Pumpkin Swirl Baked Oatmeal

I apologize for the freakishly long name of this oatmeal. I normally try to avoid lengthy titles like that, but I couldn't resist. This is what this oatmeal had to be named.


This oatmeal was inspired by a wonderful experience at Amazing Thailand in Minneapolis, MN. Thai is one of my favorite cuisines, despite the fact that I only discovered it recently! At this particular restaurant, I ordered pineapple fried rice, but my friend ordered pumpkin-coconut curry. I was shocked at how delicious the combination was, and I've wanted to try it in oatmeal ever since.




I didn't decide to bake it until recently. I was working out the logistics for this recipe for a while, but I finally realized that pumpkin is much better in baked oatmeal (it's kind of mushy otherwise). Also...I'm simply kind of obsessed with baked oatmeal right now. :)

Three Totally Acceptable Reasons to Love Baked Oatmeal:
1. The texture is somewhere between a cake and a cookie.
2. The baking time gives me time and reason to clean the kitchen.
3. CHEWY/CRUSTY EXTERIOR EDGES.


Coconut Pumpkin Swirl Baked Oatmeal

by The Oatmeal Artist
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a single-serving ramekin with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a small bowl, mix oats, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add coconut milk and stir.
  3. In another small bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, maple syrup and another pinch of salt. (Alternatively, you could skip this step and just use pumpkin butter.)
  4. Pour half of coconut-oat mixture in ramekin. Then, swirl in half of the pumpkin mixture into the oats. Repeat with a second layer of each.
  5. Pour into the prepared ramekin and bake for 22-25 minutes. Serve with more coconut milk, if desired. (You can bet that I DOUSED mine in coconut after I took the pictures!)
Powered by Recipage


**You can also find hundreds of other oatmeal recipes (as well as tons of other meatless recipes) on my Pinterest account!  You can also like The Oatmeal Artist on Facebook. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. omg I love your blog! thanks so much for all the awesome recipes :D I'm always on the lookout for vegan breakfats and LOVE oatmeal! Keep up the great work :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are delicious and awesome recipes. I like to eat my oatmeals on breakfast and I would love to try these out!

    Online deals at Black Cloud Dodge South Bend Clutches

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...